In the past few weeks, Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, archbishop of Chicago, the archdiocese’s auxiliary bishops, and the archdiocese’s Presbyteral Council met to discuss the Commission’s recommendation. Based upon those discussions and prayerful consideration, Cardinal Cupich made the following decisions regarding the parish structure in Oak Lawn, Bridgeview and Burbank.
- Effective July 1, 2021, St. Louis de Montfort will close as a separately organized parish and the faithful of the parish are invited to join any of the neighboring parishes.
- The patrimony (financial assets and physical property) of St. Louis de Montfort will be shared equally among St. Albert the Great, St. Fabian and St. Gerald.
- St. Gerald will manage the campus and lead the process for deciding the future of the campus.
- Other than these changes, St. Albert the Great, St. Fabian and St. Gerald parishes will remain in their current structure, including pastoral leadership of Fr. Nawalaniec, Fr. Warmuz and Fr. Pajor.
- The Commission recommends St. Louis de Montfort draws down its ministry by June 30, 2021, including a final regularly scheduled Mass.
- The current parish schools (St. Albert the Great and St. Gerald) will remain in their current status and configurations.
- The need to increase Hispanic ministry arose throughout the process. The Archdiocese’s Priest Placement Board will be asked to consider recommending an associate pastor who can support these needs within the grouping.